18. Second Lincoln-Berry StoreGeorge Warburton built a frame store here in 1831 and operated a merchantile business briefly. After he sold his interest in it, the store changed hands a number of times until Abraham Lincoln and William Berry took it over in 1833.
Although this was a larger store with better goods than their first one, Lincoln and his partner did not prosper. As Lincoln admitted, "Of course they did nothing but get deeper and deeper in debt. The store winked out."
<Click on picture to continue. Back to Tour Home