Edwards PlaceThis restored home was built in 1833 by Dr. Thomas Houghan and purchased ten years later by Benjamin Edwards, a Yale-educated lawyer. After Edwards and his wife Helen enlarged the home in the 1850s to its present size, it became a center of the town's early social and political life.
Abraham Lincoln made political speeches here, as well as attended social functions. In 1913 the daughters of Benjamin Edwards deeded the house to what is now the Springfield Art Association.
<Click on picture to continue.