AbrahamLincolnOnline.Org

Naval Sculpture Group

Located on the northeast side of the tomb, the Naval Group was cast in 1874-75. Instead of being sent directly to Springfield for the tomb, it was first exhibited at the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia during 1876. It arrived at the tomb in September 1877.

Citizens from the state of New York donated this group, which shows a scene on a gunboat, a mortar poised for action. A boy, called a "powder monkey," peers into the distance.

<Click on picture to continue.


  Back to Tour Home 

Home | News | Books | Speeches | Places | Resources | Education | Index | Search

Photo and text copyright © 2010 Abraham Lincoln Online. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy